Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why Boudoir?

When I (we) started Family Affair Photography my only vision for the business was that of photographing weddings and family events.  It’s such a rush of adrenalin and pure JOY photographing weddings.  To this day, I still get butterflies before each and every wedding.  Eagerly anticipating the day and the special moments.

Slowly we started adding the engagement sessions, family portraits, seniors, newborns and working with Operation: Love Reunited.  Each step has been a learning experience and added more joy to my life.  And maybe a small part of it was proving to my ex that YES, photography is an acceptable ‘job’ or career choice.  Not that I really have anything to ‘prove’ or that I could begin to consider photography a ‘job’. 

Then I  started to hear talk about boudoir photography from a couple other wedding photographers, my first thought was that’s not something I’d be interested in doing!  Keep in mind, before I ever photographed a wedding, I had said that was a profession I’d NEVER EVER consider! 


I mean really, WHY would I want to photograph girls in sexy lingerie?  I couldn’t think of a single reason … not ONE.  I figured, I’d be clueless on ‘posing’ and I was certainly clueless on feeling sexy.  While I know it when I see it in a photo.  It’s just not ‘me’.

Through years of abuse, I had a very low self esteem and self worth.   I simply couldn’t accept that I might be beautiful to someone.  IF I could go back in time,  I’d do a boudoir session in a heartbeat.  I’d fight to claim my sexiness and more importantly OWN my beauty! 


When a woman feels confident about herself, THAT is sexy!  It doesn’t matter what size you are, beauty comes in all sizes and shapes!  And something else to consider, an abusive type isn’t attracted to a confident woman.

At our first couple boudoir sessions, I watched these beautiful young women come in and share their body issues with us.  I only saw their beauty and was honestly shocked that they had any issues at all!  As the session continued, I’d see them all starting to own their beauty and sexiness!  It was like watching a butterfly come out of it’s cocoon right in front of your eyes.


What I hear now from them, is that they can’t wait to do it again!  AND they said they are now confident in themselves.  What a better gift could be given?  That my friend, is WHY I started boudoir photography.

Go ahead and tell yourself that you are doing it for your husband or so your grandkids can see what a hottie you were but the real reason to do a boudoir session is do it for YOU!

http://www.familyaffairphotography.com/private-affair-boudoir ~ 253-970-5689

No comments:

Post a Comment